5 Mental Health Hacks to Transform Your Misery to Wellness & WellbeingMar 22, 2021
The past 12 months have been the most challenging times in our lives. Most everyone's mental health and wellbeing have been shaken, and many people ask me if the life that they once knew before Covid-19 will ever be the same.
Time to Double Down
If you struggle with anxiety, depression, stress, loneliness or even substance abuse issues, it is high time to double down on improving your mental and emotional health, especially if you ever expect to recover from the dread, worry, uncertainty, and fear that is preventing you from being your best self with all the happiness, success and wellbeing that you deserve.
Here are five powerful science-based, field-tested mental health hacks that I use with my clients to help them create better mental health and far more success in life:
- Become a Self-Care Guru: Self-Care is the #1 ticket to mental and emotional freedom. We are so busy taking care of everyone else and the world's problems, we often forget to put on the oxygen mask first, leaving ourselves unprepared to deal with the trials and tribulations of the day. We find ourselves stressed out, irritable, vulnerable, and unprepared to deal with the challenges facing us right now. A really good self-care program consists of successful stress management (meditation, mindfulness, workout, work-life-family balance, great physical care with daily movement or exercise, nutrient-rich healthy diet, time off and time out for yourself, and time and space to nurture and sustain your critical life spokes while focusing on living your purpose and creating true meaning each and every day!
- Increase Your Mental Flexibility: We must supercharge our ability to adjust your thinking and behavior quickly in order to deal with various circumstances differently. Being able to adapt to new or complex situations is an important mechanism to getting unstuck from old habits as well as being able to let go of emotional baggage and resentments. Staying flexible from life’s many surprises will serve you well in achieving emotional well-being.
- One way to improve your mental flexibility is to first become aware of when you are getting stuck in your thinking. When you realize that you are telling yourself that you “can’t do something” is when you need to pivot and reset your mindset to tell yourself that “maybe you can.”
- Learn and Practice Mindfulness is a mindset achieved by focusing your awareness on the present moment, as well as the ability to acknowledge and accept your feelings, thoughts and bodily sensations.
Mindfulness grounds you in the present moment, which can enable you to navigate and manage your unruly thoughts and emotions better.
One mindfulness strategy is the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding technique. This technique entails noticing 5 things that you see around you, 4 things you can feel such as your back against the chair or your hair on your neck, 3 things you can hear, 2 things that you can smell and 1 thing you can taste like toothpaste from brushing your teeth or a cup of coffee you drank. Practicing this exercise will ground you to the present moment as well as settle your cluttered mind that can easily be littered with worries and rumination.
The basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
Becoming more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and body sensations so that instead of being overwhelmed by them, you are better able to manage them. Practicing mindfulness can give more insight into emotions, boost attention and concentration, and improve relationships.
FACT: When we’re stuck in the past or fearful of the future, we are not present for our lives today where are life is being experienced. You can NEVER be happy when you’re not in the moment!
- Learn and Practice Resilience: Is the capacity to recover swiftly from difficult situations or experiences in your life.
Not allowing yourself to be paralyzed by life challenges will also build mental toughness and a strong character. One way to begin building resilience is to recognize the lessons that can be learned from difficult situations in life (life is our greatest teacher when embraced and not feared). Reframing your thinking to a growth mindset will enable you to overcome your difficult experiences. It is often our hardships which make us stronger individuals and successful at conquering our fears.
Pay attention to your own needs and feelings. Engage in activities that you enjoy and find relaxing. Exercise regularly. Taking care of yourself helps to keep your mind and body primed to deal with situations that require resilience.
- Become More Self-Aware: Is our ability to see ourselves as we really are - not as we imagined ourselves. Most really successful people have many blind spots unaware to themselves but seen by others, that they need to understand and consider changing. Self-awareness means that we are constantly assessing our true selves and the results that we get in life. The more we know, the better we can do. Success-driven people are often the most clueless about their blind spots, risk-taking and vulnerabilities for burnout and failure!
People with great mental health know themselves - wart and all, take better care of themselves, and know the critical important of stress management and life balance.
Anyone can improve their mental and emotional health for greater results in life, but most people don't know how to achieve this without clumsily and painfully experiencing great frustration, wasted time and money, and knowing the 10 essential mental health tools that can help them transform their mental misery to mental wellness and wellbeing.
Anxious, Overwhelmed & About To Crack?
Watch our Free Mental Health Workshop and transform your mental misery to wellness! You'll learn how to deal with stress, anxiety, and depression effectively, 10X your success, and bounce back more quickly with inner strength, resilience, and calm.
JOIN THE FREE 5-DAY CHALLENGE
Kickstart 2021 by Joining The Most Talked-About Mental Health & Wellness Challenge
Take Control of Your Life & Defeat the Pandemic Blues in Just Five Days!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.